Friday, March 13, 2015

Beautiful Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet

So I was surfing the web the other day for some pretty amazingly good recipe for sharing, and I came across this one on MyRecipes, and it caught my eye. I had never made ice cream before, or at least nothing that looks or tastes anything at all like ice cream. I thought that this would be a super cool recipe to try out, and that alls y'alls would want to see the recipe. I think that it would be a really great one to try out, but the only catch is that you need an ice cream maker. Even though you need an ice cream maker to make it into ice cream, you could probably also just freeze it in the freezer, or make it in a blender with lots of ice, or pre-frozen fruits instead of fresh fruits.  I wanted to try and make this because I have an older sister who can be kinda judge-y. I wanted to make it super-duper good, because then I would have bragging rights because she used my recipe to make scones, and so she had been saying "I made the best scones!" and so I really wanted to show her up. So let's see if this recipe helps you to impress people just like it did for me.

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh strawberries
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh mint sprigs for the garnish

Method:

 Process strawberries in a food processor or blender 30 seconds or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. 
Pour strawberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, pressing with back of a spoon. 
Discard solids. 
Add the buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla to puree; stir until well blended. 
Cover and chill 1 hour.
Pour strawberry mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.) 
Garnish, if desired.

Image Courtesy of Schnitzel and The Trout Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment