Thursday, April 23, 2015

Whoopily Delightful Whoopie Pies

I have recently gone on a diet, and that diet is the worst possible diet that you can ever go on. It is called the Paleo Diet, and you can basically eat meat and vegetables (don't ever go on this diet, it is so hard!) and so the main things that I have to avoid and be the most strict about not eating are sugar, gluten (so I can't have anything that has flour in it), and dairy. This means that I can eliminate the idea that I might have dessert after dinner, which is a very hard thing to do for a fourteen year old girl who loves to eat sugar. I went on this diet earlier this year, I think I blogged about it as well, and shared a good Paleo breakfast smoothie. So, now that I am unable to consume the substance called sugar, I am lacking a certain sweetness in my life that used to be there, and let me tell you, I am really missing that sweetness. I have decided that to bring that sweetness back into my life, I have 2 options: I can start eating sugar again, or I can fantasize about eating sugar and therefor not break my diet. I decided to go with option number 2. So, from now on, all of my posts will be full of sugar, and will always be desserts until this diet has finished or my sugar cravings have disappeared (probably never). So, since I am currently greatly craving a Whoopie Pie, y'all are going to get a recipe on how to make whoopie pies from food.com.


Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg white
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
3/4 cup marshmallow cream

Method:

Combine the flour,  cocoa, baking soda and slat in a small bowl.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the sugar, shortening and egg white in a medium bowl until fluffy and well blended (about 2 minutes).
Stir in the flour mixture, then the milk until just blended.
Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto large, ungreased baking sheets, making 36 cookies.
Bake until top springs back lightly when touched (5-7 minutes).
Cool completely on the sheets on a rack.
Spoon 2 tsp marshmallow spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies.
Top each with a half cookie that does not have marshmallow spread.

The Finished Whoopie Pie
Image curtesy of Jerry's Nut House

No comments:

Post a Comment